Action 16: Promote equality, diversity and inclusion
On 28th March 2019 the PSLB agreed the 2019 implementation priorities and selected Priority Actions for implementation including Action 16, Promote equality, diversity and inclusion.
Following the appointment of the Leads and Sponsors for this Action, a meeting of the Action Team comprising of sectoral experts was held on 7 June. At that meeting the follow issues were explored:
- Exploring understanding of definitions
- What should the objective of the Action be?
- What are the issues/challenges in the area?
- Are there exemplars of good practice?
- How do we manage scope; what should our priorities be, where can we add value?
The Action Team identified a number of key issues that require careful consideration. These included:
- Issues concerning definitions,
- Concerns as to shared understandings of the ‘business case’ for equality, diversity and inclusion,
- Data quality and data collection,
- The role of organisational leadership in delivering change
- The importance of wide-ranging consultation in the design of actions in this space, and
- The large number of actions already in this space and the desire of the group to add value.
To this end a number of initial outputs were embarked on, namely;
- A Diversity and Innovation event took place in Dublin Castle on 30th October 2019
- The Development of Vision Statement and principles
- The Development of Toolkit and Maturity Model
- A ‘Consultation’ feedback exercise on the above two documents with under-represented groups
The Action Leads are Drew Harris, An Garda Síochána, and , Oonagh McPhilips, Department of Justice and Equality
« Previous "Developing our people and organisations" Next » "Action 17: Increase employee engagement"